How do I pay for my kayak tour or course?
There are several options for you. We accept cash, cheques or direct deposit. We are now able to accept Mastercard and Visa.
PLEASE NOTE - a 4% surcharge is payable for all credit card transactions (this is to cover PayPal fees).
Our bank details are as follows -
Commonwealth Bank, Erina Fair Account Name - Xterra Adventures
BSB 062-735 Account No. 10026335.
Please remember to include your surname when completing a direct deposit transaction.
What do I need to bring?
Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, clothing and footwear that can get wet (old joggers are good - thongs are not), a change of clothing, towel, jacket / raincoat (if rain/cold), 2 litres of water, a camera (try to keep it dry in 2 ziplock bags), any special medications you might need. A plastic garbage bag is also good for keeping things like your jacket or towel dry. We will have a dry bag available for car keys.
If you are booking for an overnight kayak tour, we will send you a list of the gear you will need to bring as well as the gear we will supply.
How fit do I need to be?
Fitness is not a huge issue with kayaking at this level. If you can walk around the shops….you can go kayaking. Our tours vary in length and duration. Generally, for a first time kayaker, we recommend a half-day kayak tour (3 hrs in duration).
Our attitude is that it’s your day, and we will paddle at a speed YOU are comfortable with, and have rest stops as often as YOU like.
Do I need experience?
Definitely not! We give you a comprehensive briefing before the tour on equipment use, safety and what to expect while on the tour. We also offer tips to improve your technique to make things easier and more enjoyable for you while on the tour.
What are the age limits?
As we are paddling in kayaks, children need to be able to sit unsupervised (in their cockpit). Because of this we have restricted the minimum age to 8. We have had children as young as 8 and adults up to 70 years old enjoy our tours.....age is no barrier.
How many people are on my tour?
Our tour groups are kept small. Generally there will be between 2 and 10 people on your tour.
What are Xterra's minimal impact guidelines?
- We follow the guidelines set down by 'Leave No Trace' and Australian Canoeing, but generally we like to leave any area we visit in the same or better condition than when we found it. We often find ourselves bringing home other peoples rubbish.
- We also ask that all participants respect not only other users of the areas we visit, but the local fauna, by keeping noise to a minimum.
- We only use existing camping areas and try to ensure all of our overnight trips camp at locations with toilets
What are Xterra's booking policies?
- A deposit of 50% of the tour/course cost is required to confirm your booking. If no deposit is received within 10 days of the booking being made, the booking will lapse.
- All bookings are deemed tentative until the deposit is paid.
- Cancellations made 15 days or more prior to the booking - Loss of 50% of booking fee.
- Cancellations made 14 days or less prior to the booking - Loss of booking fee.
- Cancellations made due to weather conditions are made by Xterra Adventures only. You may ask for a full refund, or we will transfer your booking to another day.
How long do the tours take?
Tours vary in length, but generally -
- Half day tours are approximately around 3 hours in duration and we will paddle 5 - 10km.
- Full day tours are approximately 6 hours in duration and we will paddle around 10-20km.
- We can however, tailor a tour to suit your time frame.
Will bad weather conditions affect my tour?
Wet weather will generally not cause the cancellation of a kayak tour, in fact, some of the best paddling conditions are in the rain.
Wind on the other hand, can cause cancellations. If the wind is strong enough to be a potential safety risk, we will contact you in the days before the tour to discuss your options. We have some good alternative locations that aren't affected by the wind.
Where do we meet?
As our kayak tours depart from different locations around the Central Coast we will normally email you a google map link to show you the meeting location. Each tour description also has a link to a google map. Just click on the link and you will be taken to a google map, with the meeting location marked by a blue pin. You can zoom in for more detail, or zoom out to get a wider perspective. If you are unsure of where to meet, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Am I going to get wet?
Yes and no - you will get some paddle splash as you paddle along, and you will get wet feet getting in and out of the kayak, but generally that will be all.
How stable are the kayaks?
Our Mirage Sea Kayaks are state of the art. They are extremely stable, seaworthy and easy to use. The chances of a capsize are remote. You will be wearing a PFD (lifejacket) at all times and the kayaks are virtually unsinkable due to their airtight compartments.
We will also give you a safety briefing before your tour explaining what to do to avoid capsizing, and what to do if you do capsize! The few capsizes that we have had on tour were from people playing around trying to splash each other etc.